Best Exercises for Latissimus Dorsi
Latissimus Dorsi is resposible for shoulder adduction and shoulder extension, meaning moving your arm closer to your body from the front and from the side.
Pull up is an excellent versatile exercise for training the lats. You can increase the bicep involvement by reducing the grip width. You can also make the exercise harder by pulling away from the bar allowing you to bring the core closer to the bar.
- Grip the pull up bar with pronated grip
- Raise the body until the chin is above the bar
- Lower the body to starting position
Pulldown is another excellent exercise for training the lats and the choice between it and the Pull Up may come down to personal preference. It’s also a good starter for those who do not yet have the strength to perform a pull up.
- Sit down and grip the bar
- Keeping the back straight, lower the bar down to the chin
- Return the bar to the starting position
Lat Pull In
This is a unilateral exercise allowing you to address any strength imbalances you may have. The direction of the pull may also feel more natural than other movements.
- Adjust the pulley to maximum height
- Standing to the side, grasp the D handle with one arm so that the arm is raised at 45 degree angle
- Bending at the elbow, pull the elbow in to the side
- Return to the starting position