Best Exercises for Triceps
Triceps are responsible for elbow extension.
Lying Tricep Extension
All exercises involving elbow extension will work the triceps in some way. Lying Tricep Extension and Cable Pushdown are good isolation exercise to specifically target the muscle. The choice between the two may come down to preference.
- Lie down on a bench with feet on the floor
- Place a dumbbell in each hand
- Fully raise and extend the arms so that the weight is held directly over the shoulders
- Bend the elbows to lower the weight close to the head until the elbows are bent close to 90 degress
- Reverse the motion
Archer Push Ups
Close grip push ups are a good way to train the triceps. Archer Push Up is an advanced variation, essentially placing all of the bodyweight on one arm.
- Get on your hands and knees with hands placed wider than the shoulders
- Extend your legs so that your hands and feet now support your bodyweight
- Keep the core tight and hips in line with the rest of the body
- Shift your bodyweight to one side of the body and by bending that arm lower the chest to the floor while keeping the other arm straight
- Push up back to starting position
Holding the L-Sit position does not seem like a tricep exercise. Most people perform this exercise to train their abs. However, while the core does have to work hard to keep the spine stable and your legs above the ground, the tricep also has to work hard isometrically to keep the arms straight. Holding this position may be surprisingly challenging for your arms.
- Sit down on the floor, with legs fully extended in front of you and arms to the side
- Bring the scapula down
- Push on the floor with your hands to lift the body in the air